Nepomuk and Akonadi

Maximilien Noal noal.maximilien at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 19:42:38 CET 2012

Hello,

> Now I have to finally decide between Mint Maya Xfce and Xubuntu. At the
> moment Mint is winning.

Well, I'm using Archlinux with Xfce, and I'm loving it. But if your
computer is above the Pentium 3 era (~1997), Xubuntu should run very fast.

Some arguments in favor of Xubuntu are :
- Ubuntu application indicators in the top panel (network, sound,
battery. For example, the sound indicator is very nice : not only does
it lets you manage the volume or run the audio mixer, it gives you
control buttons for your music player)

- PulseAudio integration (it even works well with Timidity++. On
Archlinux, it doesn't!)

- The 12.04 release is an LTS supported for 3 years

- starting with the 12.04 release, you can use Nautilus without Nautilus
stealing your desktop (thanks to a downstream patch in xfdesktop)

- There is a PPA maintained by the Xubuntu team for Xfce 4.10. Xfce
4.10, among other improvements, lets the desktop open the user-chosen
default file manager (instead of always opening Thunar). Xubuntu 12.10
already has Xfce 4.10.

- Xubuntu 12.10 has every settings-related GUI in the Xfce Settings
Manager, automaticaly.

- The 12.04 release doesn't use a PAE kernel for the 32 bit variant
(some CPUs are incompatible with PAE, like the Pentium M)

- Ubuntu One isn't part of the basic installation, but it is very easily
installed (sudo apt-get install ubuntuone ubuntuone-client-gnome) and
used. For some time in the past, it wasn't.

- a beautiful GTK/Icons theme (Greybird, elementary Xfce dark)

- very fast installation (when compared with Archlinux), everything is
working out of the box (again, when compared with Archlinux)

(I guess that if Xubuntu was a rolling release, I would be using it)