Slow scrolling in Terminal

Ray Andrews rayandrews at eastlink.ca
Tue Nov 13 00:35:45 CET 2012

On 12/11/12 02:11 PM, Tyler Durden wrote:

Now is this going to the right thread? Pardon if not.

> On 12.11.2012 19:29, Ray Andrews wrote:
>> Gentlemen,
>>
>> Shift+Arrow scrolling in Terminal is painfully slow, maybe one line per
>> second.  I've been making a whole lot of changes to my hardware
>> recently, and I don't recall the scrolling being that slow previously,
>> so maybe this is some hardware issue, or some setting or other somehow
>> got changed, but it seems unlikely since all other programs scroll at a
>> good speed.  I've tinkered with the preferences for Terminal but nothing
>> changes. Anything I can try to speed things up? What is a bit confusing
>> is that I recently got all three of my monitors working under the GUI,
>> and Terminal scrolls at a good speed on the single head monitor, but
>> slow on the dual head.  But, only Terminal is slow on the dual head, so
>> I'm not sure if I should blame the video card.
>>

> If you have Nvidia card and Nvidia's proprietary video driver, then
> probably.
>
> I had the same issue (slow scrolling in terminal and all kinds of
> other types of slowness). Nowadays I patch and rebuild libcairo2 to
> fix that, something to do with buggy gradients.

Thanks Tyler, yeah it's an Nvidia.  I didn't have the problem with my
ATI, I think that's the difference. I'm not advanced enough to do any
patching, any ideas short of that? Oh, I'm using nouveau driver, which
seems fine otherwise, maybe I should try the proprietary driver?
Interesting tho that other  programs seem to be very snappy.