newbie questions: brightness control; xfce4-terminal and colors; vertical panel

Lara Michaels laramichaels1978 at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 04:53:50 CEST 2012

Hello!

I just installed Xfce 4.8 from the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS repositories. A couple of quick questions from a total newbie:

1- How can I have the brightness up/down keys on my laptop to work? Currently the volume up/down keys work as expected, but the brightness ones produce no effect. (They used to work on Unity 2D.)

2- How can I have the xfce4-terminal display right colors on all programs? Eg, on jed (the slang-based text editor) what is white on xterm and gnome-terminal shows up as blue when I run it inside xfce4-terminal.

3- When using the panel vertically on a side of the screen, is  there a way for the date/time plugin to print  vertically?

many thanks for any helps!
~l