Session Manager Issue? Shutdown Hangs

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed May 23 00:49:19 CEST 2012

   Running stock xfce4-4.6.2 on Slackware-13.37/x86_64 on a Sony Vaio. I've
been having fits trying to get wireless networking going. Yesterday, after
setting up NetworkManager and nm-applet I inadvertently FUBAR'd shutting
down. SLiM (Simple Login Manager) is managing user login and shutdown.

   I would like your suggestions how I can identify what I accidently broke.

   The symptoms: when I click the logout icon on the panel the panel and the
two open virtual console windows clear to black but the system hangs with
the rest of the root desktop display visible. A quick press and release of
the power button clears the display and shutdown proceeds normally. Nothing
in /var/log/messages jumps out at me as related to this issue.

   The expected behavior when the logout icon is clicked is to have the root
window dimmed and an icon box displayed. The box choices include log out,
restart, shut down, hibernate, and suspend.

   Should I rebuild and re-install the slim package or is there something
else that might be involved?

TIA,

Rich