New project: lightdm-xfce4-greeter

Matias De lellis mati86_dl at yahoo.com.ar
Mon May 14 03:35:51 CEST 2012

Hello people,

First of all, congratulations for xfce 4.10 for all developers, and all the people
involved!. =)

Last week we start a new project.. As always my projects, started like an
experiment (haha), but I think it has a great future. I really surprised how
easy it can change everything, and how it works really well.

Basically it is a fork of https://launchpad.net/lightdm-gtk-greeter, and now
only has a few changes, such as the name change, and the default compile
with gtk2, but I hope to change it with your suggestions.

Well ..  you that would expect to see on a welcome screen for xfce? That
would change?, How they would like it to work? and what is the best way to
integrate it to xfce.?

Another thing .. is that recently added a dialog to use in
xfce4-settings-manager (I think it is important to have), but now it only works
to show the options used in the greeter. The configuration is only done on a
text file (GKeyFile or ini file), but I need root privileges to save changes.
Any idea to do this, without starting completely as root.? polkit is the quick
response, but I have no idea how to use it. Any other suggestions?.

What do you think? is it worth investing time in all this?.

Can be found initial progress here:
https://github.com/matiasdelellis/lightdm-xfce4

Regards.
Thanks for all.