fonts + sizes

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Mon May 14 00:34:54 CEST 2012

On Sun, 2012-05-13 at 09:51 +0100, Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> On Sat, 12 May 2012 23:15:15 -0400
> Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2012-05-12 at 19:43 +0200, hha4491 wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > as far as I can see there is only one font type and one size you
> > > can select. Is that true?
> > > Other window manager have several fonts for several purposes.
> >
> > Please remember, XFCE is not Gnome or KDE.
>
> You keep on saying that but seriously: not being GNOME or KDE is not a
> good reason/justification for anything. Especially not for things like
> missing features or other inconveniences. It's like answering the
> question "why does thunar crash when I do xyz?" with "because it's not
> GNOME".

I say it not because its an excuse... its because I don;t WANY XFCE to
be a clone of GNOME or KDE. And I've only really said it twice in recent
history.

> If you want to help others, please try to provide them with better
> explanations of why (from your point of view) things are the way they
> are and how they can use the existing functionality best.

Would it have made a difference in the answer? No. There is only one
setting that is settable by the GUI.

> To answer the original question: yes, we only allow one font to be
> defined for the user interface. We (or at least I) feel that any font
> variations belong into themes. Some applications like LibreOffice
> may allow you to use different fonts in their UI and that is fine. But
> for Xfce we've decided to stick to something simple that is supported by
> GTK and other toolkits. Settings like this are negotiated across
> applications via XSETTINGS it is common to only set one default font:
>
>   http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/XSettingsRegistry
>
> I hope that explains it a bit. You may disagree with this choice but we
> think it is enough.

And from the looks of it, the answer you gave is effectively the exact
same I gave but with a lot more pomp and circumstance.

I'll stay out of answering things. Evidently it need to be MORE wordy.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C

"God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers."
    -- Rudyard Kipling