Running graphical programs as root

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Wed May 9 19:49:53 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 09:16:10PM -0700, Ray Andrews wrote:
> For now I'll just accept the fact that when I'm logged in as root,
> playing an .mp3 somehow puts my system in peril and that there's
> nothing that can be done about it.

You do not need to be logged in as root. You must see root not as a user,
but as a tool. (And if the user works as root, he is a tool. ;-) )
I know when I started working with Linux, I was thinking the same thing. I
also thought that all those people who must have so much more experience
do it for a reason.

The extreme few times when I needed to log in as root it never was more
then a few minutes. The reason is that my standard user dsoes not work
anymore and I can not log in, because I broke it.

This also means not being able to log in on a CLI level via TTY.

I would log in (CLI with VTRL-ALT-F1), create a test user, log out and
then log in as that test user.

Then I log in as the test user and do the repairs needed.

For anything I will be logged in as user and use su, sudo and sudoers.
There is no task, except if I have no user that is logged in, where I
would need to be logged in as user. Non.

On the music side: I use mpd as music deamon and I can address that as any
user, including root, via several ways, including, but not linited to, web
interface, android, cli and GUI. Running the XFCE4 Mpc Plugin 0.3.6 that I
use on two machines. One to connect localy, the other to connect remotely.
http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-mpc-plugin
In fact due to the usage of a music deamon, I do not even need to be
logged in to listen to my music.

houghi
--
This is written under the inluence of the following: