Running graphical programs as root

Todd And Margo Chester toddandmargo at gmail.com
Sat May 5 23:16:29 CEST 2012

On 05/05/2012 01:14 AM, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> When I am using KDE, for example in kubuntu, and I want to run a
> graphical program as root I use kdesudo as the command. Example kdesudo
> kate. If I ever used gnome, which I don't, I understand the command is
> gksudo.
>
> What is the equivalent in Xfce please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil Winchurst

Hi Neil,

I do similar things with backup and KVM.  There are four
ways I typically do it.

1) sudo

2) kdesu.  Example:
       /usr/bin/kdesu -u root -c "/usr/bin/krusader"

3) gksu.  Example
       gksu -u root "/home/linuxutil/KVM-Utils stop KVM-FC16-Live 30"

4) su.  command line only.  Example
       su root -c "/home/linuxutil/restore-rn-root OurStuff"

HTH,
-T