Running graphical programs as root

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Tue May 8 20:41:00 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 10:17:42AM -0700, Ray Andrews wrote:
> >Why would you run vlc as root??
>
> For me the question is why can't I?

Sure you can, if you realy want to

> How is it that playing some music in VLC as root is  some sort of issue?

Because that is not what it is for. It is like asking why you can't put a
horse in a New Beetle

> Can't root listen to music as he works?

No, because to listen to music, you need to be a human being. (OK, have
ears) and root is not a person. It is an adminitrative account.

> Can't that be done safely? It is not reasonable
> that an OS can't let it's admin play a tune without somehow opening
> the whole system to disaster.
> >
> >>and somehow it's just not a perpetual problem.
> >How much longer do OpenBSD boxes last than windows boxes?
> I know that there are reasons for worrying about security, but I
> can't help believing that the whole system couldn't be designed a
> bit better.

Then please do, without compromising the security. This means that I do
not get spam because somebody thought it would be easier to run things
with an administrative account.

houghi
--
for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 fuck $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less