Running graphical programs as root

Ray Andrews rayandrews at eastlink.ca
Tue May 8 19:17:42 CEST 2012

On 08/05/12 06:08 AM, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> On Tue, 08 May 2012 09:23:20 -0700
> Ray Andrews wrote:
>
>> Can't my rootness just be limited to the edit?
> Yes, you need to use sudoedit a gui app would be good or an RBAC like
> selinux or preferably grsecurities RBAC or RSBAC to limit root but they
> are not easy to utilise without breaking things.
Indeed not.  Why not? Can't things be a bit simpler?
> More importantly you shouldn't need to.

> Why would you run vlc as root??

For me the question is why can't I? How is it that playing some music in
VLC as root is  some sort of issue? Can't root listen to music as he
works? Can't that be done safely? It is not reasonable that an OS can't
let it's admin play a tune without somehow opening the whole system to
disaster.

>> and somehow it's just not a perpetual problem.
> How much longer do OpenBSD boxes last than windows boxes?
I know that there are reasons for worrying about security, but I can't
help believing that the whole system couldn't be designed a bit better.