General questions/conjectures about DBUS etc.

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Mar 23 22:29:19 CET 2012

With my recent problems relating to automount (or not) and some other
things (running Calibre in particular) I'm wondering if all the reliance
on DBUS etc, for inter-process communication is breaking 'proper' X.

I quite frequently run GUI applications across my network using my
desktop machine as the X server (i.e. the system on which applications
show their display) and various other systems as the client.  Most
old-fashioned applications work OK but some modern ones seem to act very
oddly.

I've noticed with thunar and calibre that running them on my laptop but
using my desktop machine as the display it feels as if they're sort of
"half and half", some of what they're doing relates to the laptop on
which they're running but some relates to my desktop machine where they
are displaying.

Does this sound possible/sensible?  Are modern GUI apps tested in a
multi-machine X environment?

--
Chris Green