Xfce Digest, Vol 100, Issue 27

Ray Andrews rayandrews at eastlink.ca
Wed Mar 21 16:32:37 CET 2012

Gentlemen,

First post.  This seems to be where the action is in Xfce. I'd rather
see more life on the forum, but if this is where the dudes hang out, so
be it.

Don't know if this is useful, but that bug where you try to log out, get
the 'session manager not idle' box, then on restart your mouse is a big
'X' and you can't  close any windows, then you kill those 'xfce4*' files
and it's all ok -- that bug?

Last night, on logout, the box popped up, and that has always meant I'd
have the bug on next restart, but this time, instead of waiting for Xfce
to quit anyway as I always have done, I closed the msg. box, and noticed
that gedit had an unsaved file.  I saved the file, logged out, and this
morning I restarted with no problems :-) Dunno if that's significant or
just a red herring, but I thought I'd mention it.

Question: Playing around with themes I notice one thing I like in this
theme, something else I like in that theme. Rather than being forced to
select one or the other of them, is it possible to just edit a theme? I
already know the answer is at least partly yes, because I found a file
yesterday (xfwm4.xml) that let me edit a few things, but other things
that do change with the theme were not mentioned in that file. In
particular I want to see if I can fatten up the scrollbars and change
the color of the slider to something a bit easier to see (I find a grey
slider on a grey background to be less than helpful).  So, I'm wondering
if there is some other file I can get my paws on that will give me
complete control of my theme.

I took the advice at the top of the wiki pages and did some very small
edits to a few things, I trust these are reviewed by some competent person?