Can anyone diagnose this thunar-volman error please?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sun Mar 18 12:19:48 CET 2012

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 05:32:07AM +0000, Ajax Criterion wrote:
> Sorry about mentioning gnome-disk-utility, the critical dependency for
> gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor is libgdu, which is included in the
> gnome-disk-utility package in Slackware, but debian/ubuntu split it
> into a bunch of separate packages.  libgdu is a hard dependency for
> gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor (trust me, I tried really hard to compile
> without it).

I have libgdu0 installed (but not libgd-gtk0, but that's presumably for
some GUI interface to it).

> It looks like ubuntu has this program at
> /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor.  As far as I was able to tell,
> this daemon is the critical component in gvfs for automounting, and
> gvfs will not automount without it.  Kevin is correct that you can
> also automount with udev rules, and custom rules could probably mess
> up automounting through gvfs (but it sounds like your other systems
> are using gvfs for automounting).
>
> I'm trying to track down exactly what starts gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor
> and gvfsd in general.  When I boot xfce or lxde (which also uses gvfs
> by default), gvfs is running at startup.  When I boot into trinity,
> which does not use gvfs for any core components, gvfs is not running;
> however as soon as I start up thunar, gvfsd and
> gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor start up.

Yes, same for me, the whole chain of gvfs daemons seem to start up
automatically when anyone/anything is logged into X.

> Please try to run /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor, and check it
> for missing dependencies (libgdu should be installed if it is not
> already), and if it starts up, see if automounting works.  I'll dig a
> little deeper on my end to see if I can sort out what is calling it.

/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor runs without problems, however
running it doesn't seem to start any other bits of gvfs and neither does
it make automounting work.

E.g. on the non-working system:-

    chris$ /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor
    ^Z
    [1]+  Stopped                 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor
    chris$ bg
    [1]+ /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor &
    chris$ ps -ef | grep gvfs
    chris    10478  2462  0 11:08 pts/6    00:00:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor
    chris    10643  2462  0 11:13 pts/6    00:00:00 grep gvfs
    chris$
    chris$ thunar
    thunar-volman: Unsupported USB device type.
    thunar-volman: Unsupported USB device type.
    thunar-volman: Unknown block device type.
    thunar-volman: Could not detect the volume corresponding to the device.

The thunar-volman output is what shows when I plug a USB drive in.

But on the working system:-

    chris at test:~$ ps -ef | grep gvfs
    chris     1666     1  0 Mar17 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd
    chris     1672     1  0 Mar17 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/gvfs//gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/chris/.gvfs
    chris     1735     1  0 Mar17 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor
    chris     1737     1  0 Mar17 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-afc-volume-monitor
    chris     1740     1  0 Mar17 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor
    chris     1749     1  0 Mar17 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-trash --spawner :1.13 /org/gtk/gvfs/exec_spaw/0
    chris     3500  3400  0 11:16 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --color=auto gvfs

... and a USB drive is automounted an pops up a thunar window.

Is there something possibly broken/invalid/permissions with my
$HOME/.gvfs mount point?

> -Ahau
>
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 19:50:24 +0000
> > Chris Green wrote:
> >
> >> However if I run (for example) gvfsd from the command line it runs
> >> without problems, no errors.
> >
> > I don't think you need gvfsd to automount. When it's running does
> > automount work again? Automounting is done by udev rules and udisks.
> > Have you added any custom udev rules? Do other usb sticks not work
> > either? You can kill and then run udev in debug or verbose mode and
> > perhaps get more info.

Chris Green