Can anyone diagnose this thunar-volman error please?

Ajax Criterion ajax.criterion at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 06:32:07 CET 2012

Sorry about mentioning gnome-disk-utility, the critical dependency for
gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor is libgdu, which is included in the
gnome-disk-utility package in Slackware, but debian/ubuntu split it
into a bunch of separate packages.  libgdu is a hard dependency for
gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor (trust me, I tried really hard to compile
without it).

It looks like ubuntu has this program at
/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor.  As far as I was able to tell,
this daemon is the critical component in gvfs for automounting, and
gvfs will not automount without it.  Kevin is correct that you can
also automount with udev rules, and custom rules could probably mess
up automounting through gvfs (but it sounds like your other systems
are using gvfs for automounting).

I'm trying to track down exactly what starts gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor
and gvfsd in general.  When I boot xfce or lxde (which also uses gvfs
by default), gvfs is running at startup.  When I boot into trinity,
which does not use gvfs for any core components, gvfs is not running;
however as soon as I start up thunar, gvfsd and
gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor start up.

Please try to run /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor, and check it
for missing dependencies (libgdu should be installed if it is not
already), and if it starts up, see if automounting works.  I'll dig a
little deeper on my end to see if I can sort out what is calling it.

-Ahau