Security issue in Terminal

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 20:17:13 CET 2012

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 19:53:15 +0100
Guido Berhoerster wrote:

> No, that does not work, the filesystem layer will initialize
> allocated blocks (everything else would be a glaring security
> issue on the kernel level) or might transparently create a sparse
> file.

I'm sure creating a huge empty file takes milliseconds not minutes and
so the data would be there. I'm not talking about the usual method
of automatic allocation by writing to the filesystem, unfortunately I
remember the example but not the code. Anyway most distros are moving or
have moved to a memory filesystem for /tmp which does clear upon any
future initialisation.