Inconsistency between xinitrc and startxfce4 scripts

appzer0 appzer0 at free.fr
Mon Jun 25 18:01:45 CEST 2012

Hello,

I run into a problem while logging in xfce. I usually use xdm: this is
the default DM on my homemade distro for French native speakers, 0linux.

To log in xfce, I use the mechanism consisting in executing the xinitrc
script, by creating the symlink /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, pointing to the
xfce's xinitrc located at /etc/xfce/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc.

The problem is that the login behaviour is different between this login
method and the "startxfce4 --with-ck-launch" command invoked from the
console. Although xdm is patched to support consolekit, only startxfce4
script is able to to automount devices and consolekit stuff, the xinitrc
misses something somehow.

The other problem is that the exported variables in both scripts seem
not to be exactly the same, so when I startxfce4 I lose some useful
variables, like the XDG* ones, leading to little annoyments like empty
"Open with" in Xarchiver for example.

Moreover, I noticed that startxfce4 supports xinitrc (of course) by
executing it at the end of the script, but not the contrary : xinitrc
will never check for consolekit if we did not launch startxfce4
--with-ck-launch! As xdm directly executes xinitrc, we miss a step.

Line 89 of Xfce's xinitrc: if test "x$XFCE4_SESSION_WITH_CK" = "x1"; then

So basically : the xdm -> xinitrc -> xfce step is missing consolekit support

Thanks to correct me if I am wrong and thanks again for a great desktop
I'm using for many years now.

appzer0 - http://0.tuxfamily.org