Using OpenVPN from Xfce Desktop Environment

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Sat Jun 23 17:19:09 CEST 2012

On sam., 2012-06-23 at 09:47 -0400, Worrier Poet wrote:
> 1. Is there a way to have my cake and eat it, too, i.e. can I keep Wicd
> and handle the VPN connection some other way?

I would assume so, people were using openVPN before network-manager,
afaict. Just do the stuff manually.

> 2. If I need network-manager, do I need to remove Wicd, and is this
> going to have an adverse effect upon my desktop environment? (I suppose
> the Xfce developers chose Wicd as the default for good reason. I thought
> network-manager was pretty unreliable when I was using it with Gnome,
> but that was a while ago.)

Actually, Xfce developers didn't chose Wicd. Debian packagers (we) did
it, just for the lack of anything else at the time, and because we
didn't want to pull to much gnome stuff inside the default Debian/Xfce
environment. Note that if you want to use NM, then nothing prevents you
of doing so, it's just a default install.

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis