Problems with recording.

Sergio sergiocmailbox-xfce at yahoo.com.br
Thu Jun 14 22:38:35 CEST 2012

> De: Ray Andrews <rayandrews at eastlink.ca>
> Assunto: Re: Problems with recording.
> Para: sergiocmailbox-xfce at yahoo.com.br, "Xfce general discussion list" <xfce at xfce.org>
> Data: Quinta-feira, 14 de Junho de 2012, 17:14
> On 14/06/12 12:10 PM, Sergio wrote:
>
> Victory!
> > I don't know if he did, and it sounds a good solution
> (if the GNOME mixer won't open). After setting up stuff with
> alsamixer, a peek at pavucontrol might help too, maybe.
>
> I installed pavucontrol, tinkered at random with the
> settings and ... voila!
>
> I forget how long it's supposed to take a monkey at a
> typewriter to create one of the sonnets of Shakespeare but
> it only took this money 5 minutes to  get sound to
> record from a YouTube video once Sergio put me on to the the
> right tool.
>
> I don't suppose there is a document some where that actually
> explains all this?

You may find among huge amounts of people doing the same question a few answers.
I don't understand this but basically the sound is taken care by alsa (enter alsamixer) and pulseaudio is a layer over it that (I think) enables to have more control over the sound streams.
Now thinking about it, gnome-volume-whatever IIRC offers mostly the same as pavucontrol (plus GNOME specific stuff like setting the sound theme for event sounds).