Linus, Gnome 3, and *lots* of Xfce comments

Ray Andrews rayandrews at eastlink.ca
Thu Jun 7 20:46:36 CEST 2012

On 07/06/12 11:18 AM, Liviu Andronic wrote:

> As for me, I still don't know what it is that I'm supposed to be missing.
>
> I would like to echo that. I'm always surprised when people complain
> that Xfce is not as featureful as Gnome 2. What features do they miss?
> Its rigidity? Although I agree that Gnome 2 comes with more and more
> actively developed *non-core* apps than Xfce (Evince, etc.), but one
> can readily use those apps under Xfce.
Exactly.  I wish there was a distinction made between the actual desktop
and all the various applets and utilities that come *with* it.  You
know, for a noob, it is not obvious how all that works.  I remember the
first time I installed a KDE utility while running Gnome -- I was sure
that such a thing would be impossible, but of course there's no issue,
except for the one-time cost of installing all the libraries that come
with each 'family' of utilities.  When I think 'desktop', what I'm
thinking about is a window manager, a panel manager, a session saver,
and some way of creating and editing menus, not much more, the rest is
utilities and applets and widgets which seem to me to be an almost
totally separate thing.