Linus, Gnome 3, and *lots* of Xfce comments

sergiocmailbox-xfce at yahoo.com.br sergiocmailbox-xfce at yahoo.com.br
Tue Jun 5 14:07:44 CEST 2012

--- Em ter, 5/6/12, Maximilien Noal <noal.maximilien at gmail.com> escreveu:

> De: Maximilien Noal <noal.maximilien at gmail.com>
> Assunto: Linus, Gnome 3, and *lots* of Xfce comments
> Para: "Xfce general discussion list" <xfce at xfce.org>
> Data: Terça-feira, 5 de Junho de 2012, 9:00
> Hello,
>
> https://plus.google.com/102150693225130002912/posts/UkoAaLDpF4i
>
> The amount of positive comments about Xfce on this page is
> too damn high. ;-)
>
> Meme quotes aside, comments like "Xfce saved my marriage"
> made me
> smile, so I wanted to share it.
>
> (I hope I'm on the right mailing list for that)
>
> Cheers !
>
> PS: Linus is back on Gnome 3 now, but bashes it ? Why
> change, then ?
> I'm a little confused.

It's not that GNOME 3 is a complete fail, obviously. It's mostly their attitude towards users, which are very much disregarded.
For instance, the idea of pressing 'Alt' at the shutdown menu to change the 'should be poweroff' option from 'Suspend' to 'Poweroff' is a good design decision in terms of uncluttering the menu. But ignoring that most people would have 'Poweroff' as the main item and 'Suspend' as the alternate one and refusing to even add an option in gsetings to revert that order out of pure childish hurt pride, doesn't really deserve much respect (deserves pity, of course).