Programmatically changing wallpaper

Buzz buzz at kinematic.co.nz
Sat Jun 2 00:04:25 CEST 2012

On Wednesday 30 May 2012 06:29:33 brian wrote:
> Thanks for the hints, folks. That lot should give me something to work
> on. As regards my not finding the file, it looks like grep doesn't
> look in hidden directories - I can think of no other reason why it
> didn't find my wallpaper.
>
> The version of XFCE I have is 4.8, that's the latest from Debian SID
> (the unstable repository) so if I need to upgrade I guess I'll have to
> compile my own.
>
> I'll try the programmatic approach first, though - while I know
> nothing about Perl or anything else regarding C syntax (I'm a retired
> scientist, I know FORTRAN and Pascal) I'm sure I can work through it
> with a bit of book work.
>
> If I get something working, I'll post the (FreePascal, if possible!)
> source on my website and put a link on this list.
A couple of years ago I wrote a Python program to take care of this.
Originally for KDE but I've modified it for XFCE. I didn't want it to just
change the image periodically, but depending on certain settings, to choose
how to display it.

I have a couple of screen shots of the front end for it if your interested,
but I don't know if I'm allowed to post images to the list?

Anyway, your welcome to it if you would like to try to get it working on your
system.

--
Cheers

Buzz