Xfwm window borders do not respond to touch screen

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 13:03:05 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Chandler Paul <thatslyude at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, recently I got my hands on a Lenovo S10-3t with a multitouch
> screen. Everything works fine, however titlebars of windows along with
> their borders do not respond to my touch screen exclusively. I can
> interact with windows normally with my touch screen, however I cannot
> use my touch screen to move a window, minimize a window, close a
> window, etc. unless I use the right click menu on a window button. Now
> if I try to do the same with my laptop's touch pad, it works just fine.
> I am very sure this is an actual problem with xfwm, as I have /no/
> issues with anything else other then window borders, and metacity along
> with twm allow me to interact with title bars and window borders
> perfectly using my touch screen. In addition, the Xorg mailing list
> told me that the issue is most likely with Xfwm as opposed to Xorg
> itself due to the fact that everything else with my touch screen works
> fine. I have looked through all the Xfce settings over and over again
> with no luck, and I have verified that Xorg is indeed showing a click
> event for my touch screen using xev. Xorg's log shows nothing of use
> either. If anyone would help me I would be very thankful.

I don't have such hardware, but I tried with a touch tablet and another
screen tablet and no problem whatsoever.

Beside, ignoring events based on their source requires additional code that
xfwm4 does not have so I don't see how it could ignore events coming from
the touch screen alone.

Only possibility I could think of is the type of click (simple click, click
and drag, double click, etc.) detection routine in xfwm4 gets fooled when
using the touch screen for some reason, so I would suggest to dig there
first, possibly by adding traces in the code to see what it does and what
might go wrong.

http://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/tree/src/events.c#n227

Another possibility is to record the device description of your touch
screen using "evemu-describe" and record an event using "evemu-record"
(needs to be done without any X server running or else the device will be
grabbed by the X server) and post both the description and event recording
so I can try to reproduce without the hardware.

Once you have more info we can start to investigate, but it's next to
impossible for me to investigate that without any data.

Cheers,
Olivier.