Xfce4-mixer pulseaudio support

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Tue Jul 3 18:28:06 CEST 2012

Try mate-volume-control.

The Maté Desktop environment project has forked various of GNOME2
projects and also separated dependencies as well as omitting redundant
components such as Yelp.

http://pub.mate-desktop.org/releases/1.2/mate-media-1.2.1.tar.xz

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 18:54:30 +0200
Jérôme Guelfucci <jeromeg at xfce.org> wrote:

> On 01/07/12 16:08, Brandon Watkins wrote:
> > Yeah, that does sound like a pretty nice solution, as the gnome
> > volume applet already has a all the needed functionality, and the
> > only real problem with it right now is the fact that it needs so
> > many gnome dependencies. The gnome applet also has a enough
> > features that it would eliminate the need for pavucontrol. I'm not
> > a developer so I have no idea how much work that would entail
> > though.
> >
> > On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Guido Berhoerster <gber at opensuse.org
> > <mailto:gber at opensuse.org>> wrote:
> >
> > On 01.07.2012 02:25, Brandon Watkins wrote:
> >
> > Let me begin with saying that through the developers' hard
> > work, XFCE has
> > grown into a very complete desktop, especially considering
> > how lightweight
> > and fast it is. I've recently switched from gnome, and XFCE
> > is a great
> > change of scenery. Certainly a desktop that deserves more
> > popularity and
> > manpower :)
> >
> > The one weak point I found on the XFCE desktop was the
> > volume mixer. On a
> > system using pulseaudio it just doesn't work well at all,
> > and there really
> > aren't any good alternative applets (The only one I found
> > that had good
> > pulseaudio support was pnmixer, but its buggy and doesn't
> > seem to be under
> > active development anymore).
> >
> > I've managed to workaround most of the mixer's pulseaudio
> > shortcomings
> > (setting both the mixer and the applet to use the default
> > pulseaudio output
> > makes it show the correct volume in the panel most of the
> > time), set pavucontrol to launch on left click, and for volume
> > hotkeys I was able to
> > use the cli program "pulsemix" as an alternative to
> > xfce4-volumed (which
> > didn't work well with pulse at all) and map its pause/mute
> > toggle/prev/next
> > commands to xfce's keyboard settings.
> >
> > However even though these workarounds can overcome most of
> > the shortcomings, there are still some issues. For example, If I am
> > using the
> > HDMI output on my laptop, the panel applet stops reflecting
> > the correct
> > volume, until I go in and change sound card again in the
> > applet and mixer
> > settings.
> >
> > Is this something that is planned for a future version? I
> > think having a
> > mixer that supports pulseaudio would make things so much
> > easier for users
> > that want to use XFCE and pulseaudio, but not use the gnome
> > volume applet
> > which pulls in tons of gnome dependencies.
> >

> > AFAIK xfce4-mixer is currently not actively maintained (though I
> > have collected a bunch of fixes and features I'd like to
> > contribute soon).
> [...]

Occupy Flash, The movement to rid the world of the Flash
Player (SWF) plugin. Join the Fight! www.occupyflash.org