Scroll Lock in XFCE will not switch KVM

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Thu Jan 19 03:48:23 CET 2012

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 18:37 -0600, Todd Pytel wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 22:06 +0000, Tim wrote:
> > I have exactly the same problem with my KVM (Avocent) and to be honest
> > any suggestion for resolving this issue have been non existent. You
> > don't say what distribution you are running (Debian in my case).
>
> Good to know I'm not crazy. I'm running Debian (sid) as well.
>
> It would really be nice if someone knowledgeable could provide at least
> a pointer in the right direction. I'm not really a programmer, but
> sometimes I can do some of the leg work tracking down bugs if I know
> where to start looking.

What kernel are you running?

Reason I ask, as soon as I switched to a "post 2.6" kernel (any RC for
3.0), I was no longer able to use the hot switch for my KVM. Mine is by
Rosewill and its hot-key is double hit of the num-lock key.

I had one computer with a 2.6.38 kernel and one with 3.0.0-RC(something)

I could switch from the 2.6.38 kernel machine to the 3.0.0 kernel
machine using the HOT-KEY. I could not switch back using the HOT-KEY.

When I updated the 2.6.38 machine to a new kernel 3.1.0, I could no
longer switch with the HOT-KEY from that machine either.

This seems to me to no be an XFCE issue. As it happened with GNOME, KDE
and with XFCE on either machine.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C

"Create each day anew."
    -- Morihei Ueshiba