Orage - how to 'clear' repeated event until the next one?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon Jan 2 16:40:05 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 03:31:13PM +0200, Juha wrote:
> 02.01.2012 14:52, Chris Green kirjoitti:
> >On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 12:17:52PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> >>I think, now I understand all the settings/options for a TODO in Orage
> >>that, along with my python script, I can get it to work the way I want
> >>it to.
> >>
> >Famous last words, I'm still not *quite* there!  :-)
> >
> >I have created a test TODO called "Test XXX" which repeats daily.
> >
> >Whatever I do I can't ever make it appear in blue in the "To do:" box
> >below the calendar.  After creating it when I hover over the "Test XXX"
> >in the box I see:-
> >     Title: Test XXX
> >     Start: 02/01/12 13:00
> >     Due:   02/01/12 13:00
> >     Done:  Never
> >     Note:
> >
> >But it's still black, surely a TODO that's due now should be blue.
>
> It should become red when current time is more than Due time.
> And it should become blue when current time is more than Start time (and
> current time is less than Due).

OK, I think I understand, but it means it really doesn't work too well
for things like regular tax returns.

> In your case Due time is the same than Start time, so it actually
> never is blue, but it should go from black to red after your local time
> is more than 02/01/12 13:00.
>
> I was not able to reproduce this. It may be a bug. Do you ever see
> red or only
> always black?

I *think* it's working correctly, if I see anything that seems wrong I
will report it.

> >Then, if I tick the Completed box for the "Test XXX" TODO, hovering shows
> >me:-
> >     Title: Test XXX
> >     Start: 02/01/12 13:00
> >     Due:   02/01/12 13:00
> >     Done:  02/01/12 12:45
> >     Note:
> >
> >Shouldn't the Due: date move to the next occurrence, 03/01/12, now that
> >I have done the 02/01/12 occurrence?
> As you probably have now TODO base "Start", you have not completed that TODO
> since you only can complete it after it has started. So, it should
> be red and not move
> to the next occ.

So how do I arrange what I need:-

    A TODO that is due to be completed on the 19th of the month (well,
    quarterly actually, but that's unimportant).

    A way of 'clearing' the TODO some time before or after the 19th so
    that the TODO on the 19th of the next month becomes the next one to
    be done.

Since I need the TODO base "Start" setting so that it's always fixed at
the 19th of the month it seems I can't ever complete it until it's too
late.

I suppose I could set it up so that the Start date is several days
before the 19th and set the Due date to the 19th, then I can complete it
between the start date and the due date.  But it could get a bit
confusing if one set the Start date a *long* time before because then
the real requirement of the job being completed by 19th might get lost.

--
Chris Green