shutdown and restart broken if hal/dbus is active

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Feb 28 01:06:19 CET 2012

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012, markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de wrote:

> While most things have improved, including a couple of nice
> refinements of XFCE, the restart and shutdown buttons of the logout
> dialog are now grayed out as long as hal and dbus are active. This is
> a regression compared to my previous FreeBSD 8.1 setup.
>
> If hal and dbus are not available, logout uses sudo instead
> which works alright for me. However, some applications like xfburn
> require hal and dbus.

Restart and shutdown should work if the polkit settings suggested by
/usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4-session/pkg-message are done:

To be able to shutdown or reboot your system, you'll have to add a .pkla
file in %%LOCALBASE%%/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d directory.
Which looks like this (replace PUTYOURGROUPHERE by your group):

[Restart]
Identity=unix-group:PUTYOURGROUPHERE
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

[Shutdown]
Identity=unix-group:PUTYOURGROUPHERE
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

This works on 9.0 here, with dbus but without hal.