shutdown and restart broken if hal/dbus is active

markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de
Mon Feb 27 23:09:09 CET 2012

Hi,

I've upgraded my box lately. My system is now:

FreeBSD wombat.mininet 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan  3
07:46:30 UTC 2012
root at farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

While most things have improved, including a couple of nice
refinements of XFCE, the restart and shutdown buttons of the logout
dialog are now grayed out as long as hal and dbus are active. This is
a regression compared to my previous FreeBSD 8.1 setup.

If hal and dbus are not available, logout uses sudo instead
which works alright for me. However, some applications like xfburn
require hal and dbus. I've followed the instructions displayed by the
xfce4 port makefile to change the
/usr/local/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf config file which now reads:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- XML -*- -->

<!DOCTYPE pkconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Configuration 1.0//EN"
"http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/PolicyKit/1.0/config.dtd">

<!-- See the manual page PolicyKit.conf(5) for file format -->

<config version="0.1">
    <match user="root">
        <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
    <define_admin_auth group="wheel"/>
    <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot">
      <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
    <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown">
      <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
</config>

As this did not help, I've also followed the instructions found in the
XFCE FAQ (http://wiki.xfce.org/faq) which asks me to edit
/usr/local/etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf. This file now looks like
this:

<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC
 "-//freedesktop//DTD D-BUS Bus Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
<busconfig>

[...system defaults unchanged here...]

  <policy group="operator">
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement"/>
  </policy>

</busconfig>

I'm member of the operator group:

[markus at wombat ~]$ pw groupshow operator
operator:*:5:root,markus

This doesn't help either.

Is there a way to force XFCE to use sudo (which obviously works)
instead of hal/dbus (which is apparently broken)? Is there a way to
fix the broken hal/dbus behaviour with regard to XFCE? I haven't
noticed any odd behaviour of hal/dbus with regard to other
applications like xfburn.

regards,
Markus

--