xfce4-weather-plugin: symbols & descriptions update

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Thu Aug 30 13:43:13 CEST 2012

Am 30.08.2012 12:35, schrieb Liviu Andronic:
> Should this be of any use..
>

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Harald Judt <h.judt at gmx.at> wrote:
>> Am 29.08.2012 18:18, schrieb Guido Berhoerster:
>>> http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html
>>> which are also used by KDE/GNOME applications you wouldn't need to
>>> include them at all with the added benefit that these are covered
>>> by most icon themes and thus avoids the problems with dark themes
>>> etc.
>>
>> Thanks for your suggestion. I understand the benefits of the standardized
>> icons, but given the amount of free weather icon sets available, there might
>> be more work writing new code for the standardized icons instead of simply
>> exchanging the existing set with another one. Besides, I find the special
>>
> I checked the excellent Faenza icon theme [1] and it comes, indeed,
> with suitable status/weather icons (appropriate for light or dark
> panels). Unless there is some rigidity introduced from using the fd.o
> specs, I think there is value in standardization.
>
> Regards
> Liviu
>
> [1] http://tiheum.deviantart.com/art/Faenza-Icons-173323228

met.no supports various weather conditions for which there are no icons
in the standardized themes. Using special icons here allows you to grasp
the weather situation at a quick glance. Why would one not want to have
that feature?

What's more, some themes might not conform to the standard, so the icons
could be missing. Now explain that to the user. By default, the weather
plugin should provide everything which is necessary for it to work,
including an unproblematic icon set that works fine everywhere.

Besides, while I am a happy user of the Faenza theme and do like it very
much, its weather icons are not really my taste. Tastes differ, so I
consider proper theming support even more important. Standardisation is
good, but if overdone everything will look the same (and maybe
restricted) and become boring.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'