slow keys must die. now

Ahau @porteus.org ajax.criterion at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 08:16:47 CEST 2012

My apologies, I must have misread your original email.  I assumed the
following quotes meant you felt that your need to hold the shift key
for an extended period was more important than the need to provide
accessibility to the disabled, and that you did have an objection with
slow keys itself:

"I'm sick to death of this stupid, inconvenient, "feature" called slow
keys."
"IMHO it was an enormous waste of effort. Slow keys is a
silly, stupid, frustrating thing"
"And I think it is a stupid design to have automatic slow keys in the
first place.  "
"Do you really think this helps a disabled person in any
appreciable way?" (I might add that you contradicted this one in your
second message: "One of my students does use the slow keys feature").
"How in the world is this person that requires "slow
keys" even logging into the computer with "ordinary keys"?" (nice that
you've given them the benefit of the doubt)
"How many people are so
disabled that they can't click a menu, or have a helper hit a menu
button?" (first, my guess is that there are enough of them to warrant
accommodation and second, if I understand the issue correctly, it is
an option that is enabled as a part of the Xorg server itself, and
since each desktop environment uses different tools to modify
accessibility settings, it would be ineffective to create a GUI menu
item at the same level to package with slow keys)

Those are the quotes that set me off, it is my hope that upon review,
you can understand why.  Regarding my "alternative scenario", there
are also distributions (the one to which I contribute, in fact) that
log directly into a GUI via a 'guest' user account on the first
boot-up, with no username/password entry required at login.

I agree that there should be a way for users to turn off the trigger
for enabling slow keys, and it should be readily found in the
'accessibility' window, and I'm happy that Jerome implemented this so
quickly.  I can see that this has aggravated a number of users on
several distros, and am sure that it was a frustrating experience.  I
simply take umbrage at the way in which you railed against
accessibility settings.  Please read your original email to this
student of yours that uses slow keys on a daily basis, and let us know
how he responds.  Emails to this list go to anyone who signs up for it
(my apologies to you all for rambling on this long), and archives are
stored on the website where they are publicly viewable and accessed by
search engine queries.