ANNOUNCE: xfce4-weather-plugin 0.8.0 released

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Wed Aug 8 17:56:09 CEST 2012

Am 08.08.2012 15:19, schrieb Morten Bo Johansen:
> Harald Judt <h.judt at gmx.at> wrote:
>
>> To be honest, we've been so picky with google because of opensource and
>> freedom beliefs, so with regard to its history Yahoo is not a company I
>> am very fond of personally.

I've looked at Yahoo more closely, and they don't really provide 'live'
values. For example, when you fetch the page for "Paris, France" at 8pm
or 8.15pm, you'll get the temperature at 7pm, or sometimes at 7.30pm.
met.no isn't really worse here, the difference is they give you values
for the near future. So we wouldn't gain much with Yahoo and I don't
think the efforts would be worth it. In comparison, I find the met.no
forecasts for the next three hours accurate enough.

> I could ask the Danish Metereological Institute (dmi.dk) if
> they provide something useful, but I don't know how to phrase
> the question in technical terms. If maybe you could formulate
> the question for me in English, I will then translate it and send it
> to the DMI.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Morten

Thanks. I took a quick look at dmi.dk myself, and they appear to only
provide forecasts too. I didn't invest much time, but they seem to lack
an API. If they had one, I'm sure they would make that information
public. However, their graphical representation of the forecasts looks
very nice.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'