momentary freeze ups

Todd And Margo Chester toddandmargo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 22:47:27 CEST 2012

On 04/14/2012 05:28 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 14.04.2012, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
>
>> You can hear the hard drive doing its seeks.  And, it happens right
>> in the middle of using it.  But, I will check the drive's power
>> setting.
>
> Do a "hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda" and see if this helps. If it does, you
> can avoid the problem by doing "hdparm -B 254" in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> or wherever this file is located in your distribution (mine is F16).

"hdparm -B 254" command was rejected as not supported.

So, I looked at what daemons were in common with the
two computers: netfs.   So I disabled netfx as I was
not doing anything on either machines the netfs man
page spoke of (chkconfig --del netfs).  That did the
trick.   I have no idea why.

Thank you all for the help and tips,
-T