editing menus.

Ray Andrews rayandrews at eastlink.ca
Sat Apr 7 05:13:51 CEST 2012

On 03/04/12 01:22 AM, killermoehre wrote:

Killer,
> If you just want to know what an entry executes I have a one liner for
> you:
>
> > cat $(grep -P "^Name=${APPLICATION_NAME}\s*$"
> /usr/share/applications/* | awk -F ":" '{ print $1 }') | grep -P "^Exec="
>
> Just replace ${APPLICATION_NAME} with the name shown in the panel.
> This was just a 3 minute hack, most time was used by reading the help
> for grep and awk, so it isn't difficult.
Just wanted to say thanks again for that line. It took me a few days to
work up the guts to try it,  and when I did it lead me to a whole new
understanding of things. I was happy to see that all the '.desktop'
files in there are completely intuitive and I also learned how to cure
that stupid problem some of the 'system' menu items have (eg. 'Disk
Utility'), namely that they let you open them but after you try to do
something they tell you that you can't do it because you aren't root:
Just start the 'Exec=' line with "Exec=su-to-root -X -c" :-)