editing menus.

Ray Andrews rayandrews at eastlink.ca
Sun Apr 1 23:03:20 CEST 2012

Gentlemen,

I'd trying to figure out how to edit my menus. I found lots of info on
the web, but all of it seems inapplicable. Eg.on 'wiki.xfce.org/faq' in
the "How to edit the auto generated menu ..." section there is reference
to 'menu.xml' which doesn't exist anywhere on my system. Elsewhere I
read about 'xfce4-menueditor' which also does not exist here.
There's talk about an 'Edit menu' button in 'menu > settings > desktop'.
Can't find any such thing.

I managed to find 'xfce-applications.menu'  which has stuff like:

<Menu>
<Name>Development</Name>
<Directory>xfce-development.directory</Directory>
<Include>
<Category>Development</Category>
</Include>
</Menu>

And I recognize the main categories, but where is
'xfce-development.directory' ??
I'll edit by hand if I can figure out how the submenus work.

What's wrong? Am I perhaps missing some addon?  Am  I looking at
obsolete documentation? If so, is there something up to date?

BTW, I find it bothersome that some things connected with Xfce are named
thus:

'xfce-development.directory'

and others thus:

'xfce4-about.desktop'

... sometimes the '4' is part of the name, othertimes not. Is there a
pattern to this? If there is not, I sure wish the devs would settle on
one form or the other. If there is a pattern I'd be grateful if someone
would explain it to me.

Thanks,