Would Like to Change NumLock Behavior to Match MS Windows Behavior

Gilbert Sullivan whirly.gig at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 16 19:52:29 CEST 2011

On 09/16/2011 11:46 AM, Mișu Moldovan wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 17:32, Gilbert Sullivan<whirly.gig at hotmail.com>  wrote:
> [snip]
>> You are most helpful. I really appreciate your time, effort, and knowledge.
>> I'll be looking into that as well as xmodmap. Strangely, I can't find
>> xmodmap in the main Debian repository, and of course the
>> xfce4-kbdleds-plugin isn't there. I'll have to do a little spelunking in the
>> Debian package lists and check out the xfce4-goodies site, too.
>
> The xmodmap command should be a part of the x11-xserver-utils package,
> at least that's what a see on a Debian stable box.
> xfce4-kbdleds-plugin probably needs to be compiled from sources.

I thought I should report success on this issue in the hope that it
might be useful to someone else.

As I mentioned earlier, in Gnome there is a keyboard-settings-properties
dialog that allows setting the NumLock behavior to match MS Windows
behavior. I discussed this on the debian-users list with a terrifically
helpful person. She found that the Windows compatibility setting I
mentioned created the following line in /etc/X11/xkb/base.xml

XKBOPTIONS="numpad:microsoft"

That file doesn't exist in my non-gnome system. So I put the line in
/etc/default/keyboard, rebooted, and "Bob's your uncle!"

I had been planning to use xev and an ~/.Xmodmap file to remap the
keycodes for all shift key combinations with the numeric keypad keys so
that they would only produce the results I desired, but this is a lot
easier and cleaner. The remapping method probably would have had some
undesirable results, too -- especially with a lummox like me trying to
make it work.

Many thanks again for your help, Mișu Moldovan! I'm very certain that
what I've started learning about remapping is going to come in handy in
the future.

Regards,
Gilbert