Would Like to Change NumLock Behavior to Match MS Windows Behavior

Gilbert Sullivan whirly.gig at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 16 16:32:47 CEST 2011

On 09/16/2011 08:54 AM, Mișu Moldovan wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 14:45, Gilbert Sullivan<whirly.gig at hotmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 09/16/2011 04:13 AM, Mișu Moldovan wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> Try a keyboard indicator with a dedicated led for a visual cue of the
>>> NumLock state. To easily switch the state of the NumLock key you could
>>> try XkbOptions in xorg.conf or a dedicated program like numlockx.
>>
>> Thank you for the suggestions.
>>
>> By "keyboard indicator" I take it that you mean software that places a
>> telltale in the notification area, or are you talking about an actual piece
>> of hardware?
>
> I was referring to a piece of software. I used to run Gkrellm and it
> had a plugin (gkrellm-xkb?) which displayed a flag for the national
> keyboard layout and the state of numlock&  capslock. I remember
> patching it to add the Romanian flag... I've since switch to conky and
> minimized the number of visual distractions on my desktop.
>
> An Xfce-specific work seems to be xfce4-kbdleds-plugin, details at
> http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=5954 .
>
> [snip]

You are most helpful. I really appreciate your time, effort, and
knowledge. I'll be looking into that as well as xmodmap. Strangely, I
can't find xmodmap in the main Debian repository, and of course the
xfce4-kbdleds-plugin isn't there. I'll have to do a little spelunking in
the Debian package lists and check out the xfce4-goodies site, too.

Best regards,
Gilbert