Rodent and this list

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at xfce.org
Tue Oct 4 01:23:46 CEST 2011

First of all, allow me to extend my humble appreciation to all those who
are interested in Rodent and show this interest by following any
threads which clearly has the word "Rodent" in the subject line.

Anyways, let's set a few points.

Mr. Perez says:

> I don't want to sound rude or offensive, but I didn't subscribe to
> rodent or xffm mailing list (in fact, I just don't like them at all and
> could never use them, not that they are bad per se, they're just not for
> me).

If Mr. Perez or anyone else have a personal opinion (be it good or bad)
or just want to be rude or offensive (even if you do not intend to),
send it to whomever it may concern, not to the list. That's just a
courtesy to make filtering easier.

> People on this list /might/ be interested by those annoucements, but
> some are definitely not (well, at least me). As I'm interested in Xfce
> stuff, I'd like to keep subscribed to xfce list, so I'm kindly asking
> that you open a mailing list for rodent and post the releases there (and
> do an announcement here so people interested can subscribe).

I would like to take this opportunity to remind those who only wish to
get Xfce announcements to subscribe to the xfce-announce list. This list
is for "general discusion". A bit of netiquette is always in order, like
keeping to the subject thread.

On a different post, Nick replies to:

>> I think that Rodent now brings enough news to justify the creation of
a new
>> > dedicated mailing-list in order to follow its development, don't
you think ?

with:

> I agree. Xffm and Xfce went in separate ways, better to have a
> dedicated list for the discussions and release announcements.

To which I responded (of list, of course):

Sorry Nick, you're mistaken. Xffm and Xfce *packagers* went different
ways, which is very different from *users*. Xffm was built from this
list and about half Rodent users are here. So announcements remain a
topic. Besides, there's a Rodent forum at sourceforge for non-xfce
related users and development discussion.

Now I add:

Xfce went from being a one-man show to a collaborative effort because of
this list. Can anybody not explain the chronic shortage of developer
contribution to the Xfce project when you get this kind of public
humiliation on the list.

Finally, I question. What are they afraid of?  Afraid Rodent may prove
better and mark a return of Xffm? Come on! If Xfce users wanted to
follow the holy words of software packagers, they'd be using micro$oft.
Maybe these posts indicate that Rodent (aka xffm) has become a serious
threat?

> Again, I have not intention to be rude or anything (but as this mail can
> sound like it, I'm adding a disclaimer).
>
> Thanks anyway for your work.

And I thank each and every person who collaborates in this great
enterprise called free software, even those who are destructive even
though they have no intention to be so.

Please bear in mind that Rodent is provided as is, with no warranty, in
the hope that it may be as useful to you as it is to me.

- --

cheers!

Edscott