ANNOUNCE: rodent-4.7.2 released

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at xfce.org
Mon Oct 3 22:15:33 CEST 2011

Thunar uses thunar-vfs, similar to nautilus-vfs (or maybe like
nautilus has upgraded to gvfs, Nick can probably shed more light on
that). Anyways, these "virtual file systems" create temporary mount
points, then mount the specified device, be it a sshfs, ftpfs, obexfs,
smbfs or anything else beneath the sun, someplace under ~/.gvfs. Once
the location is mounted, the path is translated to the real path
beneath ~./gvfs and the user is none the wiser.

These vfs will remember mounts and mount/unmount without user
intervention.  If you open a samba location with Thunar then open a
terminal and go to ~./gvfs, you will find the mount. But if you close
your Thunar window, the mount will be unmounted. This may seem a good
thing, but not to everybody.

Rodent will show bookmarks that resolve to a valid local path, but
will not do any gvfs mounting/unmounting. That's why you may or may
not see in Rodent all the items you may have bookmarked in Thunar,
depending if the unit is mounted or not.

Rodent will add and delete bookmarks to the default gtk bookmarks
file. Thus, if you add a bookmark in Rodent, this will (or should)
show up in Thunar's side panel. If you remove a bookmark in Rodent,
well... same thing.

This gvfs way of doing things without informing the user is fine for
those who don't know how to ---or don't want to--- specify mount
options, but for others this automatic behavior can become extremely
annoying.

HTH to unconfuse the matter.

regards!

--