system-config-network: why text mode?

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Tue May 31 07:38:55 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 03:29:24PM -0700, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
> Fascinating.  And I concure completely.  I administer several remote
> servers long distance, although not 1500 miles away.  Most of it is
> done over ssh (ssh -X).

I use ssh -X as well on my openSUSE boxes. All run XFCE. Sometimes I use
the GUI YaST, sometimes the CLI YaST (ncurses) and sometimes I edit files
with vim (or sometimes gvim).

It all depends on many reasons, including my mood. Luckily Linux gives you
an AND/AND solution. CLI and GUI configurations both have their place.
Choice is a good thing.

> p.s.s.s I still add and remove users from the command line.
> Haven't found any GUI tools for it that are complete and that
> I like.   Guess I am somewhat of a dinosaur.  :-)

Because I use openSUSE I have YaST. This also because I do not do it often
enough, so I do not have to remember how it went and if I might forget
something. This I do with many other things as well.

What I also do is to first do it in YaST, so I can see how some file
should look like and then edit it with vim. I then sometimes use YaST
again later.

Instalation or removal of programs I do with YaST, zypper, rpm, OCICLI or
One CLick Install, again depending on many factors. So it is CLI and GUI
mixed usage, using what I feel is the best tool at that moment. (This is
written in mutt, using vim on Terminal in XFCE)

This is also the reason why I dislike all the differences between KDE,
GNOME, XFCE, LXDE and what not. All need different terminals, different
filemanagers, different what not. All I care about is that my program is
placed on my screen. Well, and some other small things.

houghi
--
If you owe the bank $100 that's your problem.
If you owe the bank $100 million, that's the bank's problem.