system-config-network: why text mode?

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Tue May 31 01:05:20 CEST 2011

Am Sonntag, den 29.05.2011, 23:47 -0700 schrieb Todd And Margo Chester:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > On my various installs of Fedora Core 14 (Xfce 4.6.3) and 15 (Xfce 4.8.3) ,
> > Xfce spin, I have noticed that "/usr/bin/system-config-network" always
> > comes up in text mode, instead of the really cool graphics mode.  And the
> > text mode really stinks.

Hi Todd,

as Greg already pointed out this has nothing to do with Xfce itself,
however it is somehow specific to Fedora's Xfce spin. For questions like
this we have a dedicated mailing list at
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce

Please join us! The list is really low traffic and you can reach both
Fedora's Xfce maintainers as well as other Xfce users there.

> > Am I missing something in the Fedora Code Xfce spins that forces
> > system-config-network into that horrible test mode?

We have removed system-config-network in favor of NetworkManager's
nm-connection-editor. The only reason the -tui version is in the Xfce
spin is that it's a dependency of the installer.

Hope this helps. See you soon on our Fedora Xfce mailing list.

Regards,
Christoph