system-config-network: why text mode?

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Mon May 30 15:29:34 CEST 2011

On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 23:47 -0700, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > On my various installs of Fedora Core 14 (Xfce 4.6.3) and 15 (Xfce 4.8.3) ,
> > Xfce spin, I have noticed that "/usr/bin/system-config-network" always
> > comes up in text mode, instead of the really cool graphics mode.  And the
> > text mode really stinks.
> >
> > Am I missing something in the Fedora Code Xfce spins that forces
> > system-config-network into that horrible test mode?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > -T
>
> Figured it out.  There are two system-config-network's:
>
>      system-config-network-tui (text mode)
>      system-config-network     (graphics mode)
>
> FC14+ only installs the "tui" version, which has
> the name /usr/bin/system-config-network, which also
> causes confusion.
>
> Solution:
>      yum install system-config-network
>
> /usr/bin/system-config-network will now give you
> the graphics mode.
>
> -T
> Don't bother uninstalling "tui", it is a dependency for the
> "non-tui" version.

Just for the record, system-config-network has nothing to do with XFCE.

Just for the record THIS REPLY has nothing to do with XFCE, but I must
reply.

If I had to run every system-confg-* with the GUI (aka X or what ever is
the soup dujour), I'd immediately write a script to do the same thing in
text mode.

To that, I believe the GUI version is a scraper or operator for the text
mode TUI version on these things. I could be wrong as I haven't looked
at the innards.

I admin servers 1500 miles from them, distance with using X isn't
exactly a good thing (when using Comcast as your Broadband connection
bleah). In a comparison of the GUI mode stuff to curses mode stuff the
GUI stuff *EXTREMELY* heavy, laggy and slow to respond.

Please Todd, don't forget the MANY Linux distributions are built upon
Fedora Core or Debian... there is a reason they use text mode first and
GUI second. Mainly, many machine may not even have a head on them, or if
they do it might be an ancient monitor not able to display anything with
greater than 640x480 or may even be a serial terminal... or other very
low bandwidth console. Frankly, if Distros abandoned text mode, it would
be a tragedy.

Look at how pointy clicky Windows is and you have to decipher where in
the registry to manage and then many times they are so cross referenced
its not even funny.

Heck even OSX can be managed completely with a terminal (albeit very
clumsily in some places).

XFCe is good at being light, but nothing is light enough to be
responsive over 1500 miles of rather bland about the end users internet
carriers. (TWTelecom, Level3, Cogentco, Comcast, Cox... etc)

I'll shut up now.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C

"The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we
pretend to be."
    -- Socrates