system-config-network: why text mode?

Todd And Margo Chester toddandmargo at gmail.com
Mon May 30 08:47:33 CEST 2011

> Hi All,
>
> On my various installs of Fedora Core 14 (Xfce 4.6.3) and 15 (Xfce 4.8.3) ,
> Xfce spin, I have noticed that "/usr/bin/system-config-network" always
> comes up in text mode, instead of the really cool graphics mode.  And the
> text mode really stinks.
>
> Am I missing something in the Fedora Code Xfce spins that forces
> system-config-network into that horrible test mode?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Figured it out.  There are two system-config-network's:

     system-config-network-tui (text mode)
     system-config-network     (graphics mode)

FC14+ only installs the "tui" version, which has
the name /usr/bin/system-config-network, which also
causes confusion.

Solution:
     yum install system-config-network

/usr/bin/system-config-network will now give you
the graphics mode.

-T
Don't bother uninstalling "tui", it is a dependency for the
"non-tui" version.