Lightweight display manager for xfce?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Thu May 26 20:32:19 CEST 2011

On 2011-05-26, Mathias Brodala <info at noctus.net> wrote:

> Clemens Eisserer, 26.05.2011 13:03:
>> The only thing left which bothers me is GDM, it takes as long as xfce
>> to start if not longer and seems to pull a lot of dependencies.
>> Is there a lightweight display manager where xfce's shutdown/reboot
>> buttons work?
>
> I'd like to ask if you actually need a DM at all.

I've never really seen the point in them other than mollifying MS
Windows users.  The main purpose of a display manager seems to be to
make sure your system is difficult/impossible to use when an update
accidentally breaks X/Gnome/KDE/whatever.

In .bashrc:

 alias x="exec startxfce4"

Logging in and getting a desktop is as simple as

  <username>[enter]
  <password>[enter]
  x[enter]

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Could I have a drug
                                  at               overdose?