panel 4.8.3 launcher - cannot add items

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Wed May 4 09:43:22 CEST 2011

Context:  Xfce 4.8 upgrade on FreeBSD 8.2 (Xorg 7.5.1)

Since upgrading to Xfce 4.8 I have been unable to add custom items to
Launchers.  I can add a Launcher to the panel but cannot add any items
to the Launcher.

From Launcher Properties, the dialogue for Add Empty Item appears to
work fine - and the resulting foo.desktop file is created in the
corresponding .config/xfce4/panel/launcher-n directory; but the entry
for that .desktop file is not added to the plugin-n section of
.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml

Add Existing Item works as expected but Add Empty Item does not.  Any
configuration or troubleshooting clues would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

--
John Marshall