ANNOUNCE: midori 0.3.3 released

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Sun Mar 13 23:36:48 CET 2011

midori 0.3.3 is now available for download from

  http://archive.xfce.org/src/apps/midori/0.3/midori-0.3.3.tar.bz2
  http://archive.xfce.org/src/apps/midori/0.3/midori-0.3.3.tar.bz2.md5
  http://archive.xfce.org/src/apps/midori/0.3/midori-0.3.3.tar.bz2.sha1

  SHA1 checksum: 01baf6243f7b00af5e5b4eb6ac5d3233e60bc993
   MD5 checksum: e1262cc7cc0c1773c331ab794480f037

What is midori?
===============

A lightweight web browser based on WebKitGTK+, for Unix, Windows, Maemo
and other platforms. Several extensions provide advanced functionality
such as advertisement blocking, cookie management, userscripts or mouse
gestures.

Website:
  http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/midori

Release notes for 0.3.3
=======================
[Please note that this is a development release.]

[This is not a development release, this is a bug in the release
manager]

One thing history shows is, nobody wants to write documentation. Even
though a number of people actually offered to do so, it never happened.
And then you notice, hey, there is the FAQ in the wiki, and it is full
of tips and tricks, and attracts users to suggest improvements. So why
not use that as the documentation? So that's what we do now. A side
effect is that it will always be shipped because no longer is docutils
needed. Which bears another lession: if you make it too easy to disable
something people may start to think it is not useful at all.

A sudden enlightenment as it sometimes happens and luck while typing key
words into DuckDuckGo brought me to: Link Fingerprints. I have been very
well aware of the utility of checksums for years. And yet, I will admit,
I often enough ignore downloads which offer me an SHA1 or MD5 sum to
verify my files. Why? Because it is different for every single site and
because I have to fire up a console to switch to the right folder and
compute the checksum, depending on which one is provided. That is simply
annoying.
So I thought there must be a way to handle that automatically. And
within minutes I found a Firefox extension that reads "fingerprints"
embedded in hyperlinks. From this version on Midori will show such a
checksum and display a warning if it doesn't match. I use this for new
releases of Midori from now on.

See http://mdhashtool.mozdev.org/lfinfo.html for the details.

As always, see the ChangeLog for all the other nice improvements.