xfce-panel does not come up

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Sun Jul 24 19:22:56 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 03:04:37PM +0200, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
> Only the panel plugin configuration is stored in
> ~/.config/xfce4/panel,

OK. I noticed that. Would also be way too obvious, wouldn't it. ;-)

> panel settings are stored in xfconf.

That was the one I was looking for. Thanks.

For future reference, I found them in
~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml

There I removed all from <property name="panel-2" type="empty">
right to the corresponding </property>
Luckily that was enough, because otherwise I would have needed to remove
the whole thing and start from new. Not much fun if you have made plenty
of "menu's" per categroy you use.

> You
> can use xfce4-settings-editor or xfconf-query to edit them.

I could not see what I had to do with either of those. I also di not try
for too long as the above worked.

It also makes clear that having everything in XML is not always an
improvement. From a developers point of view, it will most likely be. Me
as a user, prefer a human readable and editable file.

houghi
--
Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we