Can't login anymore with GUI

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Fri Jan 28 14:42:58 CET 2011

On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 06:09 -0700, Duke Normandin wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Harald Servat wrote:
>
> Hello Harald ...
>
> I appreciate your polite note!

Yves-Alexis' note was polite also. You just took it as incorrigible, due
to the terseness.

> > Yves-Alexis is asking you a bit more of information. I'm not
> > experienced on Xubuntu at all, but you may provide information
> > about: what Xubuntu and Xfce versions are you running. Also excuse
> > my ignorance on that field, but you could also provide information
> > on which login GUI are you using.
>
> I'm running Xubuntu 10.10;
>
> Xfce 4 Desktop Environment
> version 4.6.2 (Xfce 4.6)
>
> The login GUI is whatever installs with Xubuntu/xfce. Must be a
> front-end for 'gdm'.
>
> > There's something also curious, are you using "net root"? To me it looks
> > like that you are running your system as root? Isn't it? If so, and besides
> > the security issues this may arise, two things are important to note, is it
> > possible that you were previously running Xfce with another user? If not, is
> > it possible that "runlevel" is not set to automatically start the X11 login?
>
> I am NOT running as root - not at all. I boot using grub. I'm
> presented with a GUI login screen. Up until yesterday afternoon, all
> was well. My username and "other" showed up as default users. I
> selected my username; input my password; JOY!
>
> All of a sudden, after I input my password, I'm recycled back to the
> GUI login screen when I select my username.
>
> However, I can select "other", use 'root" as a username with the
> appropriate password, and again JOY.
>
> I can also go the long way around: from grub, use the "recovery"
> option. From the CLI, login using my username/password, then do a
> "startx" - again JOY.
>
> The problem only occurs when I'm presented with the default GUI login
> screen, and I use my username/password.

Now, you see, that wasn't so hard to provide that info. Do that on the
first post and you'll get a lot more result.

Responding to his first request for additional information, it would
have been far better, to not respond with an aggressive response.

Yves-Alexis can fight for himself, very well, as he is a Debian
Developer and has been around a long time. Sorry to say though, you may
have just caused him (and others) to put you in his (their) "ignore"
list(s). He (They) doesn't (don't) have the time nor the inclination, to
try to read your mind.

Just a piece of advice, take it anyway you want.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2