Can't login anymore with GUI

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Fri Jan 28 14:09:16 CET 2011

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Harald Servat wrote:

Hello Harald ...

I appreciate your polite note!

> Yves-Alexis is asking you a bit more of information. I'm not
> experienced on Xubuntu at all, but you may provide information
> about: what Xubuntu and Xfce versions are you running. Also excuse
> my ignorance on that field, but you could also provide information
> on which login GUI are you using.

I'm running Xubuntu 10.10;

Xfce 4 Desktop Environment
version 4.6.2 (Xfce 4.6)

The login GUI is whatever installs with Xubuntu/xfce. Must be a
front-end for 'gdm'.

> There's something also curious, are you using "net root"? To me it looks
> like that you are running your system as root? Isn't it? If so, and besides
> the security issues this may arise, two things are important to note, is it
> possible that you were previously running Xfce with another user? If not, is
> it possible that "runlevel" is not set to automatically start the X11 login?

I am NOT running as root - not at all. I boot using grub. I'm
presented with a GUI login screen. Up until yesterday afternoon, all
was well. My username and "other" showed up as default users. I
selected my username; input my password; JOY!

All of a sudden, after I input my password, I'm recycled back to the
GUI login screen when I select my username.

However, I can select "other", use 'root" as a username with the
appropriate password, and again JOY.

I can also go the long way around: from grub, use the "recovery"
option. From the CLI, login using my username/password, then do a
"startx" - again JOY.

The problem only occurs when I'm presented with the default GUI login
screen, and I use my username/password.

--
Duke