Postler dependencies

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Mon Jan 24 21:53:54 CET 2011

Am Mon, 24 Jan 2011 17:59:30 +0100 schrieb Landry Breuil:

> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, den 23.01.2011, 15:33 +0100 schrieb Mike Massonnet:
> >> Hi Christian,
> >>
> >> I'm looking up for building Postler, and I see it depends on
> >> libindicator, which depends on libdbusmenu-glib and the command
> >> line tool "al" which depends on Mono.
> >>
> >> Is it possible to have the indicator dependency optional? :)
> >>
> >> That would be great. Otherwise, is it a hard-dependency because
> >> it's a project close to Ubuntu? Is it foreseeable in the future to
> >> make this a soft-dependency? Perhaps can you explain why it is
> >> necessary? Stopping the annoyance right now ;-)
> >
> > +1
> >
> > I tried to build postler a few days ago and ws bitten by the same
> > problem. In Fedora we don't have libindicate and I think the whole
> > Ayatana stack is not much used outside of Ubuntu and perhaps
> > OpenSUSE.
>
> I've built postler from git on OpenBSD some weeks ago when there were
> no such dependencies.. and i'd also like to be able to build it now :)
>
> After linux-only software where bsd people struggle to port,
> ubuntu-only software
> where even linux people struggle to package ? :)

You may be surprised to hear that I develop Postler on archlinux64 without Mono installed. And I chose to support indicators because I like the concept and use it myself.

I built libindicate from bzr, though, which is probably not for everyone.

I added --disable-libindicate as a configure option now.

It is actually not painful with Vala, it's simply that nobody asked for it before.

--
ciao,
    Christian