Minor issues with 4.8

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 22:27:26 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 2:31 AM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
>> > The first oddity is that the applications menu can't find its menu.
>> > I've solved that by going into properties and using a custom menu
>> > file which allows me to tell it exactly where it installed the menu
>> > in the first place. While that's
>> > an adequate workaround for my home use, it would be nice to fix
>> > before I do any proper deployments.
>>
>> Xfce-utils (the xinit script in there) should've set the
>> XDG_MENU_PREFIX environ var to "-xfce". So garcon loads
>> "application$XDG_MENU_PREFIX.menu".
>
> Almost. ;)
>
> It's XDG_MENU_PREFIX=xfce- and the menu file that will be loaded is
> xfce-applications.menu. It has to be in $SYSCONFDIR/menus (which usually
> is /etc/xdg) or ~/.config/menus/.

So what it's actually trying to open is:

/export/home/peter/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu
/etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu

it has picked up the XDG_MENU_PREFIX correctly but hasn't picked
up the install prefix.

Do I need to set anything during configure to redirect it?

I simply put a symlink so that /etc/xdg points to where I really installed
things, which seems to have fixed pretty much all the problems I reported.
The applications menu gets populated correctly, the errant panel at the
bottom of the screen actually has valid buttons on it, xfce4-appfinder
works (which it didn't at all before) and I can configure panel launchers.
(By picking them from the appfinder - trying to add an item manually
still doesn't work, but that doesn't matter now.)

It's fine as a workaround, but it would be better if I could have it pick
everything up from $(prefix)/etc/xdg.

Thanks for the pointers,

--
-Peter Tribble