Xfce USB Format

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 20:03:55 CET 2011

Hello

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Ernesto Acosta <elav at ipichcb.rimed.cu> wrote:
> Greetings:
> I am very excited that very soon will officially xfce 4.8. For now I'm using
> Gnome, but I always used Xfce 4.6, and that is why I look forward to version
> 4.8
>
> I have a little doubt. Is it possible to create the context menu of Thunar,
> an option to format USB memory? If there is something I like Gnome that
> option, but do not think there Xfce, so you have to use Gparted or some
> command in the terminal.
>
> I am aware that Thunar can add actions,

I don't know if there is a (ready) way to detect the device names
underlying a mount point.

> and that would be fine, if my memory
> always be sdb1, but if I have other memories are assembled and sdc1 or sdd1
> Is there any way to detect the action which is the device I format?

My guess is that it is best to use GParted, as you suggested. You
could allow 'user' to run it (via sudo), and you could put it in a
launcher on the panel.

> Is it possible to include an application to format USB memory in Xfce?

I don't think that a 'Format...' c-menu item is good in a file
manager, since it's not its job. Personally I wouldn't want one (by
default) in Thunar. If you want to format a device, use a Partition
Manager. ;)

> Excuse my bad English.

Few of us are native English speakers on this list. Cheers
Livu